Thursday, September 4, 2008

Pertinent stuff that pisses me off

Loved that alliteration didn't you? Check this out:

I thought I had a respect for Helen Mirren. I will not respect anyone, ANYONE, who condones or dismisses date rape in anyway. I think that in this interview she has basically disregarded woman's right to make individual choices about her body.

She called a woman voluntarily taking her clothes off with a man a "tricky area."

"If a woman voluntarily ends up in a man’s bedroom with her clothes off? It’s such a tricky area, isn’t it? Especially if there is no violence."


What the hell people? So in this tricky area it's not entirely illegal (I couldn't sue according to Helen Mirren) for a man to rape me? So when I get my annual woman's health exam from my male doctor this is one of those "tricky areas?" I am doing it voluntarily after all!

So I guess we could chalk this up to me as a woman scorned, but Mirren admits that she was date raped “a couple of times” during her college years. I think this is better explained by generational and societal differences. That and Helen Mirren apparently not realizing just how violent rape innately is.

Rape is inherently violent. Rape oppresses the will of the victim. And I'd like to leave you with this nice definition I found, violence is any inappropriate physical contact that could harm another.

No comments: